Kochański and Partners Win a Case for Investigative Journalist Wojciech Cieśla against Przedsiębiorstwo Farmaceutyczne LEK-AM sp. z o.o.
Newsweek’s investigative journalist Wojciech Cieśla was accused of defamation of character of pharmaceutical company Przedsiębiorstwo Farmaceutyczne LEK-AM sp. z o. o. in the press articles titled “Afera Lek-Am, czyli recepta na kasę” and “Łapiński, Lek-Am i uzbecka insulina” published in Newsweek Polska weekly magazine and on newsweek.pl website. On 10 June 2016, the District Court for Warsaw-Mokotów in Warsaw acquitted Wojciech Cieśla on all charges.
In the course of the proceedings, the defense attorneys of the journalist argued that the articles were published to protect an important public interest, supervise the mechanisms applied in the pharmaceutical company and verify whether the use of public funds by the pharmaceutical company was correct.
The District Court agreed with the arguments of the defense. In an oral statement of reasons, the Court confirmed that the publication served an important social purpose. The judgment is not final.
The journalist was represented by advocates Konrad Orlik, Partner and Agnieszka Chajewska, Senior Associate from Kochański & Partners.
- Kochański & Partners among the Most Attractive Employers in Poland
- Kochański & Partners among the top 10 law firms in the “Rzeczpospolita” ranking
- IP STARS 2019/20 results of individual lawyers have been announced!
- Kochanski Zięba & Partners as a partner of 6th CECL Conference Company Law Reform in Central and Eastern Europe
- Kochanski Zieba & Partners has advised Redefine Properties Limited on the largest transaction in the history of the commercial property market in Poland – the value of the transaction exceeded PLN 5 billion
- Kochanski Zięba & Partners as a partner of HAWLE HYDRO SUMMIT 2016.