Advocate, the Firm’s Founding Partner
Piotr is a graduate of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow and George Washington University – Teaching Visiting Scholar. He obtained post graduate degrees from the University of Warsaw in Negotiation, Mediation & ADR. Piotr is a member of the Warsaw Bar Association and the Chamber of the District of Columbia in the United States. He is fluent in English, also speaks French and Russian. Piotr is recognized as an expert in commercial litigation, investment arbitration, technology transfer, IP protection and Life Sciences.
Piotr is a co-founder of several well-known Polish pioneering law firms, including the first private law firm in Cracow that specialized in providing services to private businesses set up at the end of the 1980s, and to the first foreign investors in Poland. The law firm currently operates as SPCG. In 1990, Piotr Kochański brought Hogan & Hartson, the third largest US law firm, from Washington, D.C. to Poland, which he then developed and co-ran as a Polish Partner until February 1996. Subsequently he joined White & Case from New York and, as a MB member of the Polish branch, developed from scratch one of the very first teams of Polish lawyers and experts in the then brand new Intellectual and Industrial Property Law area, and also headed IP, technology transfer, commercial litigation and commercial arbitration legal practices.
During the systemic transformation which took place in Poland in the 1990s, Piotr not only managed the development of private law firms on the Polish market, but also ran controversial, precedential cases in IP protection, technology transfer, and other landmark transactions in that critical period. Moreover, he ran the first investment projects in state-owned enterprises commercialization and privatization area of practice and advised on major business ventures involving the organization and financing of companies and projects. He has conducted complex multijurisdictional commercial litigation before common courts and arbitral tribunals.
In January 1999, Piotr Kochański founded and successfully developed one of the largest Polish law firms, i.e. Kochański & Partners Limited Partnership. Today, K&P members nearly 100 lawyers and over 60 back office employees cooperating and providing services related to key transactions through its offices in Warsaw and Cracow. K&P is a full scope business oriented law firm providing Polish and foreign Clients with cutting-edge and efficient legal solutions of the highest professional international standards in ten business sectors. In 2018 (and in 2016), K&P was ranked 1st in the Polish law firm category in The Warsaw Business Journal ranking. K&P has been distinguished by the legal environment for its innovative approach to the professional promotion of lawyers, integrity and reliability of services, but mostly, for continuous development manifested in highly competitive legal services and excellent financial performance. Piotr Kochański is also a co-founder of other companies operating in advisory and finance areas.
While managing and developing one of the largest law firms in Poland, Piotr Kochański has represented a variety of leading Polish companies of key importance to the global economy, many of which belong to the group of Polish subsidiaries of the world’s best known corporations.
Languages: Polish, English, French, Russian.
Membership: The Warsaw Bar Association, The Washington D.C. Bar Association.
Education: The Jagiellonian University of Kraków (Master of Law, 1985), George Washington University (Teching Visiting Scholar, 1993-95), The University of Warsaw (Postgraduate studies on ADRs – Negotiations, Mediations, Arbitration, 2008).
Recommendations: Piotr Kochański has been awarded distinctions by Chambers Europe, Global Law Experts, Legal 500 EMEA and PLC Which Lawyer. He was named “Patent Star: Poland” 2018/2019 by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Absurdalny zakaz zbierania i informacji dla dziennikarzy „Nowego Kuriera”., PRESS
- „Polish Data Protection Law”, Corporate Counsel The Business Magazine For The Chief Legal Officer
- „Conditional Increase of the Share Capital”, Corporate Counsel The Business Magazine For The Chief Legal Officer
- „A corporate Buy-Back”, Corporate Counsel The Business Magazine For The Chief Legal Officer
- „The act on payment terms in commercial transactions. Critical comments”, Bulletin Polish and Swiss Chamber of Industry and Commerce
- „Transactions act unconstitutional”, Contact, the Magazine of the British Polish Chamber of Commerce
- „W USA dług to sprawa honorowa”, Gazeta Polska
- „Opcje walutowe – jak się bronić przed pozwami banków”, Rzeczpospolita
- „Korzyści z ponadregionalnej praktyki firmy prawniczej dla klientów działających na skalę ogólnopolską”, Gazeta Prawna
- Skarbówka – dobry pasterz czy wygłodniały wilk?”, wyborcza.biz
- Krajowe roszady w cieniu wielkich fuzji”, Forbes
- Mediacji trzeba się nauczyć, by ją zrozumieć, Dziennik Gazeta Prawna
- On solid ground, Warsaw Business Journal
- Największa reforma emerytalna od lat, Rynek Prawniczy
- 100-lecie Niepodległości Polski oraz stosunków dyplomatycznych z Japonią, The Japan Times
- The show must go on, Warsaw Business Journal
- Przywództwo wymaga emocji, pracy i intuicji, Forbes