Wojciech Wrochna, LL.M.
Partner, Head of Energy, Natural Resources & Chemicals
Wojciech Wrochna also leads European Law & European Economic Regulations Practice at K&P. He specializes in European law with a particular emphasis on competition law issues (including state aid and sector regulation) as well as in investments and transactions between entities operating on the regulated markets.
He has worked in European institutions (including the European Court of Justice, and European Parliament) and government institutions (e.g. as an advisor to the Minister of Science and Higher Education).
Wojciech has repeatedly represented the Government of Poland before the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg and the European Commission in matters concerning the violation of Poland’s obligations under EU law. He has also conducted proceedings for the European Commission regarding e.g. notification of aid projects, including projects co-financed by EU funds, and M&A transactions.
His experience in the regulated markets covers comprehensive advice to clients in the field of investments and transactions, obtaining financing (EU funds) and among others advice on LNG Terminal investment, cogeneration, wind farms, and broadband networks. He has also advised Polish energy companies PGE EJ1 (GK PGE) and PSE SA, concerning regulation of the energy sector, EU law and public assistance issues (contract for difference, the capacity market).
Wojciech is an academic lecturer and the author of articles on EU and energy law, and the co-author of commentary to the Treaty establishing the European Community.
Languages: Polish, English, French, German.
Membership: European Litigation Lawyers’ Association (Luxemburg); Polish Association for European Law.
Education: University of Silesia in Katowice, Faculty of Law and Administration (Master of Law 2003, Law Faculty PhD diploma in 2014); Robert Schuman University in Strasburg (France), Diploma with specialization in International, European and Comparative Law; The International University Institute of Luxembourg LL.M. in European Litigation (post graduate studies).
- Legal assistance to the Government of the Republic of Poland in drafting the statement of reasons concerning the possibility of exempting a major investment project in the energy sector from public procurement law.
- Assistance to a large gas company in public procurement and contract structure matters in connection with external financing in the amount of EUR 500 million.
- Representing the Government of the Republic of Poland and individual entities before the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg and the European Commission in matters relating to obligations under EU law (state aid law, competition law, internal market freedoms).
- Conducting proceedings before the European Commission on the notification of public aid projects, including EU funded projects.
- Negotiating gas and LNG gas purchase contracts.
- Renegotiating a number of contracts within the contract structure, related to the implementation of one of the largest investments in the gas sector.
- Creating a contract structure for one of the largest energy projects in Poland.
- Support to the transmission system operator in negotiating the operator’s contract.
- Support to one of the largest Polish power companies in expanding its business to the gas market. Conducting the necessary proceedings before the President of the Energy Regulatory Office and developing the contract structure.
- Support in the scope of public aid notification process for the purposes of one of the largest telecommunications sector projects.
- Participating in the creation of a dedicated support system for one of the key projects related to energy security of the Republic of Poland.
- Negotiating environmental research contracts in connection with the implementation of infrastructure projects.
- Participating in government work as an expert on hydrocarbon extraction laws as well as special laws on LNG terminal investment and nuclear power plant investment.