Advocate, Senior Associate
Magdalena Papiernik is mainly specialized in international investment arbitration. Magdalena advises foreign investors during investment disputes with the State, where an investment was undertaken pursuant to Bilateral Investment Treaties. She possesses experience at all stages of the arbitration process, including but not limited to, fact-finding and evidence gathering, preparation of procedural strategy and any documentation required for the proceedings, as well as representation before international investment tribunals.
She is also experienced in providing legal assistance pertaining to the realization of construction investments based on FIDIC contractual terms.
As a student she participated in several prestigious competitions concerning international law (Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Washington 2012 – winner of the Polish National Round and Telders International Law Moot Court Competition, the Hague, 2011 – the best Polish result). Currently, Magdalena is a judge at the Polish National Round of the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition and also sits as an arbitrator at the arbitration students’ contests.
Prior to joining K&P, Magdalena worked in the Ministry of Finance and in an international law office in Budapest.
Languages: Polish, English.
Membership: The Warsaw Bar of Advocates.
Education: The University of Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński in Warsaw (Master of Law, 2012). ICC Arbitration and ADR Training Programme – organized under the patronage of: the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Polish National Committee of the ICC and OKSPO at the Faculty of Law and Administration of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow (2015).
Recommendations: Magdalena Papiernik is a recommended lawyer in Dispute Resolution by Legal 500 EMEA ranking.
- On-going legal advice for Bögl a Krýsl k.s., a Czech company specialized in building roads, motorways and bridges, on pursuing FIDIC claims against the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways (State Treasury) connected with building section C of A2 Motorway amounting to hundreds of millions of PLN.
- Representing Schooner Capital LLC, U.S. company, in an international investment dispute with Poland for a value exceeding PLN 500 million initiated in accordance with the Polish-US BIT.
- Representation of Spółdzielnia Pracy Muszynianka in a multimillion investment dispute with the Slovak Republic;
- Representation of Bögl a Krýsl k.s. and Max Bögl International in an investment dispute with the Republic of Poland and GDDKiA (General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways);
- Representation of a British investor in an investment dispute with the Republic of Poland;
- Advising a Cypriot investor in an investment dispute with the Republic of Poland.
- Nowe reguły arbitrażu z podmiotami z USA, Dziennik Gazeta Prawna
- Koronawirus. Inwestor pozwie za legislacyjny chaos?, Rzeczpospolita
- Koronawirus: Polska musi liczyć się z falą pozwów, Rzeczpospolita