Advocate, Senior Associate
Sylwia Uziębło-Kowalska specializes in issues related to the preparation and implementation of construction projects, in particular linear projects such as construction of roads and motorways and modernization of railway lines. She provides advice to construction companies both at the project preparation stage, including advice on construction law matters. Sylwia assists clients in the negotiation and performance of construction contracts based on FIDIC standard forms of contract. She provides advice on matters relating to project financing from EU funds. Sylwia represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings relating to project execution.
As a member of the Arbitration and ADR Team, Sylwia has expertise in representing clients in investment disputes against the state initiated under Bilateral Investment Treaties. She advises clients at all stages of the arbitration process: from developing an arbitration strategy to representation during proceedings.
As a student, Sylwia participated in several prestigious competitions in international law and commercial and investment arbitration (17th Annual Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Foreign Direct Investment International Moot Competition 2010 and Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition 2011) – winner of the Polish National Round).
Prior to joining K&P, Sylwia Uziębło-Kowalska worked in the Warsaw offices of international law firms.
Languages: Polish, English.
Membership: The Warsaw Bar of Advocates.
Education: The University of Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński in Warsaw (Master of Law, 2011) and the University of Warsaw (Diploma for completing a course regarding English and European Union Law, 2011).
- Providing services to construction companies (including companies from the Max Bögl, Group, OHL, NewCold and PBKiI INFRAKOL s.c.) in matters related to construction contracts.
- Representing construction companies (including companies from the Max Bögl Group, OHL) in multi-million disputes between ordering parties and subcontractors arising from construction contracts.
- Representing a construction company as the plaintiff in criminal proceedings.
- Advising IKEA Group companies on matters related to construction law.
- Advising foreign investors on their potential claims against Poland in connection with Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITs).
- Representing U.S. investors in an international investment dispute against Poland with a value of over PLN 500 million initiated on the basis of the Treaty on Business and Economic Relations between the Republic of Poland and the United States of America.
- Assisting clients in matters related to the disbursement of EU funds.